What Do I Have to Do to Change the World??

Why I first came to Romania: 

Missionary
First time on Romanian soil in August 2009

Why I'm back in Romania:

Student/TBD
The only pic of me in class.
Yes, that's a stray dog.

I was lucky enough to get a scholarship to come back to Romania and study its beautiful language (in case you didn't know...that's Romanian) for six weeks. Needless to say, I absolutely love this language, but I won't bore you guys with all of the ins and outs of what I've been learning. 

Studying Romanian was the base for me coming here, but I had some other things that I wanted to accomplish while here. This includes seeing things I didn't get to see as a missionary, meeting up with some amazing people that I met on my mission, and simply being able to experience Romanian culture as a student.




However, one thing that I really wanted to get done was to get a feel for what I can do to help this country to develop. Romania is a really interesting country because there is so much poverty, but there's also a lot of people who aren't suffering. It's pretty confusing, and I wanted to get a better understanding of what is happening in the country. I've been learning a lot about microfinance and microenterprise education back in Provo and I was hoping to find an economy where these principles could work here in Romania.

Being back at school and learning about the theories of microfinance got me pumped because I was convinced it would be one of the ways that Romania could develop. I thought I knew how to change the world. But since being here...I'm more confused than before. I'm by no means an expert, but it's clear to me that these principles wouldn't work as well as I thought they would. To be dramatic and all, I've had a pretty broad range of emotions trying to cope with this: denial, confusion, frustration, laughter, apathy, and then back to confusion.

All I want to do is help this county and these people that I love so much to progress. I don't even want to change the whole world right now...just Romania. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO HARD? Why can't my good intentions and training from school equip me with the necessary tools and knowledge to help? What the heck am I supposed to do

This is where I would ideally put the answer to this question. In bold for all to know. But I really don't know what I'm supposed to do. I don't. But I know that it's worth it to keep trying




Comments

  1. I just spent a month in ghana and have had similar frustrations. I've been listening to a lot of ted talks from people in ghana, which has given me some ideas but nothing really concrete. So basically I hear ya! GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts